With a grant TPSDP Batch I (2001-2006), I-MHERE Batch II (2007-2010), and competitive research funding, JB-UB has succeeded in significantly improving the quality of the PBM. In the last three years of academic atmosphere, the interaction between sivitas academic forum both in formal and informal PBM, and the profile of students and graduates are good. This is indicated by :
- Nem average prospective students more than 8 (49-75,5%) and derived from three to eight provinces (11.7 – 17.6% provincial),
- Interest prospective students to choose PS Biology S-1 as the first choice for 36 – 55.1%.
- Students are involved in many research and dedication to the people of the faculty, conduct seminars in scientific publications, and have many achievements in the areas of reasoning, interests, and talents.
- Value Aee graduates between 17.19% – 21.52%, a graduate GPA of 2.75 over 79%, with 23% graduates through the period of study for four years.
- Approximately 50% of graduates working in the fields related to biology, and get the first salary more than one million rupiah reached 52%, with the average waiting period to get the first job is 18.5 weeks.
Since 2007 the curriculum in the PS Biology S-1 refers to competency-based curriculum (KBK) with Centered approach to student learning (SCL), problem based learning (PBL), and problem solving learning (PSL) and perkuliahannya implementation is based on the RPKPS. To provide students penetrate the global market, held matakuliah foreign language (English and non English: France, Japan and Germany), entrepreneurship and Biology Computing and Information Technology. The curriculum is evaluated every four years.
In the PBM, PS S-1 Biology is supported by 36 lecturers still consists of a professor, doctorate 55.56% (eight persons have passed the certification lecturers), and nine (25%) are in advanced studies (eight studies of S-3 ). Productivity of academic lecturers showed that the increase is very good especially in the areas of research, scientific publications, and scientific seminars. This is shown, among others, with the indicator :
- Around 75% • faculty research grants have been funded from both the Dikti, RISTEK, Local Government, and Competitive Grants DPP / SPP. If compared with the years 2000/2001-2002/2003 number of research faculty increased by 114% from the 21 titles of research into 45 titles in the years 2005/2006-2007/2008.
- Increasing the number of faculty publications in national and international level from 8 to 40 and article 21 of the 113 titles into the seminar.
- Activities Devotion To Society (PKM) in the PS Biology S-1 increased more than 400% from 3 to 17 titles and involving more than 75% lecturers and more than 10% students.
In the last three years, sources of funding for the program at PS Biology S-1 increased (> 80%) of Rp 343,195,000 (2006/2007) to Rp 3,916,276,360 (2008/2009). In the year 2008/2009 funds education PS S-1 average of Rp 15.062.000/mahasiswa/tahun. Most of these funds (> 72%) comes from the competitive research funds and I-MHERE. This indicates the increasing potential of the JB-UB management department of the health and quality.
JB UB-management based on principles of efficiency, productivity, and social responsibility to stakeholders. Academic activities in the PS-1 S Biology monitored and evaluated by Head of Department and the Quality Assurance Unit (UJM). Quality assurance management of PS S-1 Biology conducted through the Internal Quality Audit Academy (AIMA) by UJM and Quality Assurance Center (PJM) UB. At AIMA 2007/2008 PS Biology S-1 has been proposed for the UB Annual Quality Award (UBAQA). Planning and development of PS S-1 is adjusted to the Biology faculty RENSTRA years 2007-2011, years 2006-2011 RENSTRA UB, and the program dean and the provost job. Implementation of the program is done by implementing the system work team (team work) based on manual procedures and work instructions.
To achieve the vision that has been set, JB UB create three-stage development targets, namely.
- Phase I. 2006 – 2010: The level of national competitiveness,
- Phase II. 2011-2015: Achieving competitiveness Asia-Pacific, and
- Phase III. 2016-2020: Achieving global competitiveness) appropriate development plan UB
In the first phase (2006-2010) as a transition period for the competitiveness of Asia-Pacific, JB UB-set target in the year 2011 according to academic standards and the UB Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, namely:
- Number of graduates with a four-year study period 30%, Figures Education Efficiency 21.5%, college students with 50% seven months, more than 3.0 GPA as much as 75%, get a job less than a first year salary with the first more than one million rupiah as much as 50%.
- Students who participate in the research and dedication to the community as a lecturer for 15%, which is active in scientific seminars 10%, the competition of scientific and 5.0% who received 25% scholarship.
- Department is implementing the management in the MP and the IK 14 according to the standard of quality grains to obtain the certificate ISO9001: 2008.
- Increasing the budget for providing PBM (25%), cost competitive grants for research and dedication to the community (5%), and increased collaboration with stakeholders (5%) to support the quality improvement program of the development.
- Terawat all facilities and works with both the standards process.
- Department has implemented a competency-based curriculum that is integrated with the completed Program Plan and Activity Lectures Semester (RPKPS), modules, and each matakuliah tutorial.