Laboratory of Microbiology, Biology Department was established in 1992 to support teaching-learning process especially in practical laboratory activities, to support researches, and public services.
Phylosophy of the laboratory: Microorganism was played an important role in human living and ecosystem conservation. They were impotant to produced industrial and food product, for biofertilizer, bioremediation of polluted ecosystem, biocontrol of pest and pathogen, and played an important role as pathogen for plant, animal, and human.
Microbes (or microorganisms) are organisms that are too small to be seen by the unaided eye. They include bacteria, fungi, protozoa, microalgae, and viruses. Microbes live in familiar settings such as soil, water, food, and animal intestines, as well as in more extreme settings such as rocks, glaciers, hot springs, and deep-sea vents. The wide variety of microbial habitats reflects an enormous diversity of biochemical and metabolic traits that have arisen by genetic variation and natural selection in microbial populations.
Some of this microbial play an important role in the production of fermented foods such as bread, yogurt, and cheese. Some soil microbes release nitrogen that plants need for growth and emit gases that maintain the critical composition of the Earth’s atmosphere. Other microbes challenge the food supply by causing yield-reducing diseases in food-producing plants and animals. In human and animal bodies, different microbes help to digest food, ward off invasive organisms, and engage in skirmishes and pitched battles with the human immune system in the give-and-take of the natural disease process.
Microbial biotechnology, enabled by genome studies, will lead to breakthroughs such as improved vaccines and better disease-diagnostic tools, improved microbial agents for biological control of plant and animal pests, modifications of plant and animal pathogens for reduced virulence, development of new industrial catalysts and fermentation organisms, and development of new microbial agents for bioremediation of soil and water contaminated by agricultural runoff. Microbial genomics and microbial biotechnology research in microbiology laboratory is critical for advances in food safety, food security, biotechnology, value-added products, human nutrition and functional foods, plant and animal protection, and furthering fundamental research in the agricultural sciences.
Vision, Mission, Goal and Service Motto
To become international standard laboratory applying modern biotechnology concept as research center and tropical microbiology service for human welfare and environmental conservation.
- To improve curriculum suitable with microbiology based on modern biotechnology.
- To conduct lab work for students of undergraduate, master and doctoral program to produce creative and competent graduates in Microbiology.
- To serve the research for students, lecturers, and stakeholders producing works published in international journal.
- To provide product quality service through microbiology and development of product based on microbe from stakeholders for community service.
- Lab. Microbiology has equipments provided for research in laboratory or other places.
- To produce creative and competent graduates in microbiology.
- To produce scientific publications used in science development, student learning and community service.
- To solve the environmental issues and stakeholder’s problem and to develop human welfare.
Best management for customer satisfaction
Laboratory can be used by all customer with follows management system wich have been assigned. Management system always repair sustainably to increase quality and performance productivity customer of laboratory and satisfaction of customer.
Dr. Suharjono, M.S.
Tri Ardyati, Ph.D.
Food and Industry Microbiology
Yoga Dwi Jatmiko, S.Si., M.Sc.
Food and Industry Microbiology
Irfan Mustofa, S.Si., M.Si.
Dra. Nanik Dwirahayu